Our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy have changed.

By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to the new Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.


What is Medicare Part D?

Medicare Part D provides prescription drug coverage. It is actually a separate policy you buy from a private insurer.

Each private insurer has its own plan, but the general rules work like this: You pay a monthly premium for Part D coverage and may also have an annual deductible of no more than a few hundred dollars a year, if there is any deductible at all. Once you cover the deductible, your plan will then pay some - or all - of your drug costs, but only for the first $2,510 in total drug costs per year.

Once you hit $2,510 you are in officially in donut-hole land. You do not receive any prescription drug coverage for annual costs that fall between $2,510 and $4,050. That's right: You pay 100% of costs that fall within that dollar range. Once your annual costs push past $4,050 you fall back into the land of the covered: you will pay just 5% of costs above $4,050 with Medicare picking up the other 95%.